Claim: Popular TV broadcaster Mike Enriquez died on August 29, 2023
Rating: TRUE, but announcing his death has to follow protocol
The death of Mike Enriquez, a long-time news anchor of GMA7, was first announced by Pilipinas Today at about 5 PM Tuesday.
For about two hours since, the Pilipino Today post (JUST IN: Pumanaw na ang veteran TV host at radio broadcaster na si Mike Enriquez sa edad na 71-anyos ngayong araw Martes, Agosto 29. #PilipinasToday
) was the only one being shared by Netizens (4K times in FB) so many were skeptical.
Pilipino Today has 580K followers but Enriquez has been a victim of a death hoax in November 2022 so there is a reason for this skepticism.
Breaking the news of the death of a public figure follows no specific code but ethics dictate that the attending doctor or health personnel should confirm the death, the loved ones should be informed first and they would announce the death.
Failing that, as in the case of Enriquez, the work organization should do do.
The Independent Press Standards Organization had this to say: The press has a right to report the fact that someone has died, even if friends and family of the person who has died are unhappy with this.
However, journalists must follow the rules in the Code. Journalists must make sure that:
• they approach members of the public with sympathy and discretion
• they do not publish information that might cause any unnecessary upset to friends and family of the person who has died
• they do not break the news of a death to the immediate family
• reports about a death are accurate
• they do not harass people
• in cases where someone has died by suicide, they do not publish too much information about how they died.
GMA-7 confirmed the news before 8 PM.
Other news outlets followed suit.