THE Persons with Disabilities Affairs Office (PDAO) said that some 80 percent of the city’s 128 barangays were able to establish their respective desks for persons with disabilities (PWDs), leaving some 20 percent that still do not have such a desk.
PDAO officer Samuel Aquino reported that the local government is closely working with the other barangays to fill out the remaining 20 percent within the year.
The PDAO official claimed that the remaining barangays are receptive to the establishment of PWD desks in their areas but some have difficulty in determining the right people to be appointed to administer and manage the said desks.
Ordinance No. 47, series of 2017 mandated all barangays in the city to establish and maintain a PWD desk and create a PWD committee in their respective jurisdiction.
The PWD committee will be included as part of the barangay committee system and shall form part of the barangay committee on women and family.
The PWD desk shall be manned by a barangay official, a volunteer or a PWD and shall function as the receiving section and action center on all issues and concerns related to PWDs in the barangays.